Kate Brooks-Heinimann is a contemporary painter living and working on Lekwungen Territory. Kate’s paintings have been exhibited throughout British Columbia and Alberta and she has completed multiple artwork commissions within Canada and the United States.
Kate was awarded scholarships to Parks Canada’s Art in the Park Artist Residency and the Metchosin International Summer School of the Arts Mentored Studio Residency. She received her Bachelor of Fine Arts from Emily Carr University of Art and Design, and previously completed her Certificate of Visual Art at the Vancouver Island School of Art. Kate recently completed her Bachelor of Education in visual art at the University of Victoria, and is currently a public school art teacher.
Kate’s work is influenced by a deep affection for learning about nature. She hopes that her paintings inspire viewers to become more curious about the natural world. When not in her studio Kate spends her time teaching art, growing vegetables and flowers, and exploring wilderness spaces.
Eliska is originally from the Czech Republic. After finishing a master degree in conceptual art, she spent 5 years traveling around Europe and Central America leaving a trail of murals behind. Eliska is well versed in many mediums like acrylics, drawing, digital illustration or murals. She illustrated 5 books, was 2013 BC Summer Reading Club artist but lately her main interest has been painting pottery and creating art kits for McTavish Academy of Art.
Supply List from your instructor Kate:
– Variety of acrylic painting brushes (flat, round, filbert and a detail brush – recommend Opus Legato Acrylic Brush Set Assorted – need a flat #8 or larger)
– Variety of acrylic paint (must have a red, blue, yellow, white and black – recommend Opus Essential Acrylics 60 ml tubes: cadmium red medium, phthalo blue green shade, hansa yellow medium, titanium white and lamp black)
– Stretched and gessoed canvas or other primed painting surface (any brand, any size under 11” x 14”)
– Heavy weight paper (recommend Canson XL Watercolor Pad Size: 9X12)
– Sketchbook (or loose-leaf paper)
– Pencil and eraser
– rag / paper towel
– Easel (only if you would like to bring your own. We do have table top and full height easels available on site)
– A photograph or object (for painting study)
Supply List from your instructor Eliska:
– 2 pcs 8×10 canvas or canvas board, primed
– Variety of acrylic painting brushes -Size 6 Filbert,Size 4 Round,2-inch Decorators Brush
– Variety of acrylic paint-ideally Titanium White,Cadmium Yellow Light,Burnt Umber,Ultramarine Blue,Permanent Alizarin Crimson
– Value scale strip
– Tear off palette or any smooth surface palette
– Kitchen towel or cloth
– Acrylic Glazing Liquid Gloss